Council of Social Concern (with legal name of Woburn Council of Social Concern, Inc) was founded in 1969 by a group of concerned citizens who wanted to promote a sense of "neighborliness" in the community and address the absence of quality, affordable childcare and housing issues.
Today, the Council of Social Concern assists approximately 2,200 individuals per year, with the support of approximately 200 volunteers. We provide a range of services to address community needs:
- Safe, affordable, quality child care through our Children's Center and Family Childcare System
- Parenting education and supervised visitation services through our Family Skill Building Program
- Food assistance and community resource education through our Food Pantry
- Information and referral
Since April 2, 2003 the agency has been located in a handicap-accessible, facility at 2 Merrimac Street, in Woburn. The facility has parking for up to thirty cars and is only 1/10th of a mile from Main Street and the MBTA bus stop in North Woburn.
1. Our Children's Center has beautiful classrooms that meet recommended guidelines for early childhood care and education. Safe indoor space is available for recreation during snowy and rainy weather.
2. Our Food Pantry has adequate space to safely store perishable and non-perishable donated foods and comfortable waiting areas for clients. A private, confidential room is available to meet with Food Pantry clients to assess their other related needs and to offer information on community resources.
3. Our facility is wheelchair accessible.
4. We have a well ventilated, comfortable group room that is conducive for providing parenting education classes.
5. The facility has adequate space from which to address additional community needs as they arise.
Council of Social Concern
2 Merrimac Street
Woburn, MA 01801