Council of Social Concern (with legal name of Woburn Council of Social Concern, Inc) was founded in 1969 by a group of concerned citizens who wanted to promote a sense of "neighborliness" in the community and address the absence of quality, affordable childcare and housing issues.
Today, the Council of Social Concern assists over 2,700 individuals per year, with the support of approximately 265 volunteers. We provide a range of services to address community needs:
- Safe, affordable, quality child care through our Children's Center and Family Childcare System
- Parenting and wellness education and supervised visitation services through our Family Skill Building Program
- Food assistance and community resource education through our Food Pantry
- Information and referral
On April 2, 2003 the agency re-located to a new handicap-accessible, facility at 2 Merrimac Street. The facility has parking for thirty cars and is only 1/10th of a mile from Main Street and the MBTA bus stop in North Woburn.
The facility has incorporated our need for increased space in a design to better serve our clients. Seven major benefits are derived:
1. Our Children's Center now has beautiful new classrooms that meet recommended guidelines for early childhood care and education. Safe indoor space is now available for recreation during snowy and rainy weather. Additional classrooms have enabled us to provide infant childcare.
2. Our Food Pantry now has adequate space to safely store perishable and non-perishable donated foods. Comfortable waiting areas allow clients to view educational videos on topics such as nutrition or to play safely with their children. A private, confidential room is available to meet with Food Pantry clients to assess their other related needs and to offer community resource and life-skills education.
3. Our facility is wheelchair accessible. Now those who are frail or have mobility disabilities can safely access our building and its services.
4. We now have a well ventilated, comfortable group room that is conducive for providing positive parenting & wellness training.
5. We have added a room that allows us to provide supervised visitation services, while at the same time giving the family some sense of privacy.
6. The facility has adequate space from which to address additional community needs as they arise.
Council of Social Concern
2 Merrimac Street
Woburn, MA 01801